Where to find
Every Ship starts out with an initial stock of 40 or 45 Cannonballs stashed in the Ship's Cannonball Barrels. Additional Cannonballs can be found inside Barrels (especially Cannonball Barrels), Storage Crates, Rowboat Chests and Cannonball Crates all over the world. Cannonballs can also be unloaded from previously loaded Cannons. Aside from regular Cannonballs, there are various types of Cursed and Special Cannonballs that can be found all over the Sea of Thieves.
Cannonballs are mainly used as ammunition for loading up and shooting with Cannons. A Cannonball needs to be loaded inside an empty Cannon before it can be used as ammunition. Once a Cannon is loaded, the player can manually aim the cannon with
Directional keys and then Shoot the cannonball with the
Primary Use key. As the fired Cannonball's firing trajectory and arc are influenced by the angle of the Cannon and the sailing speed of the Ship, hitting targets with Cannonballs requires some practice. Cannonballs can be used to damage the Hull and various parts of player Ships and the Hull of Skeleton Ships, to defeat Krakens, Megalodons and anything else with health such as Skeletons, Animals and even Players.
There are usable Cannons on every Ship, every Fortress, every Skeleton Ship, most Large Islands, and some on The Glorious Sea Dog Tavern as well as at The Reaper's Hideout.
- Up to 10 Cannonballs can be held in a player's inventory at one time.
- A single Cannonball can be loaded into any Cannon, signified by a fuse appearing on the back of the Cannon.
- Up to 99 Cannonballs can be stored in one storage space of a Barrel at a time. A single Ship's Cannonball Barrel can carry up to 3 pages worth (i.e. 4752) of Cannonballs.
- Up to 20 Cannonballs can be stored in one storage space of the Rowboat Chest. A single Rowboat's Chest can carry a maximum of 2 pages worth (i.e. 640) of Cannonballs.
- Up to 99 Cannonballs can be stored in one storage space of a Storage Crate. A single Storage Crate can carry up to 1584 Cannonballs.
Chainshot are a special type of Cannonballs tied together by chains, used to target and deal heavy damage to the Masts, Capstan and Wheel of a Ship. Chainshot do very little damage to the Ship's Hull. They have a very low firing arc and as such, need to be aimed a lot higher than regular Cannonballs. Players can carry 5 Chainshot in their Inventory in addition to any Cannonballs and Cursed Cannonballs. Chainshot can be stored in Cannonball Barrels, but not in Cannonball Crates.
- Any player that takes a direct hit from a Cannonball will die. There is a Sea Dogs Commendation related to killing players with Cannonballs in the Arena.
- Any friendly players hit with a Cannonball get knocked back from the impact, but take no damage.
- 2.8.3 (June 15, 2023)
- Players sailing a Galleon or Brigantine will find that the knockback from Cannonball splash damage no longer propels them so far into the air, preventing them from being so easily sent overboard. However, they will still be knocked back and disorientated by the blast. This change makes the knockback experience consistent across all ship sizes.
- 1.4.3 (February 6, 2019)
- Cannonball Impact Audio - Cannonballs hitting rock and wood now sound even better. You’ll also be able to hear the difference between a cannonball hitting you above or below deck.
- 1.1.6 (July 11, 2018)
- Upon impact, cannonball knockback no longer causes unintended damage to fellow crew members.
- First Release (March 20, 2018)
fr:Boulet de canon