Created by the Sirens, the Ocean Crawlers are designed as servants and soldiers, fighting where a Siren's fin can't travel. They were also responsible for the construction of the Sirens' home, the Sunken Kingdom.
An Ocean Crawler is created through the transformation of a captured Human using a Siren Gem which bestows the victim with enhanced strength and abilities. The Siren Queen believes they provide them with purpose.
The Eel-ectric is a ranged, fast-moving Ocean Crawler that uses electricity to stun its foes, and can be identified by the electric eel wrapping through its body.
- The Eel-ectric has 150 health.
- Dying to any of the Eel-ectric's attacks including the bubble bolt will make the Green Flame of Fate available.
- Dying to the close-range chain stun effect will result in the White Flame of Fate being available.
- The Eel-ectric can move quickly by gliding across the ground, making it difficult to escape from.
- It can use its eel as a whip, dealing a small amount of damage while delivering knockback.
- It can fire an electric bubble that explodes on impact, dealing damage. The electric bubble can also be detonated by shooting it with a gun.
- If the Eel-ectric is attacked while it's charging an electric bubble, it will release a chained electric stun effect damaging nearby players & creatures. If it is shot from a distance, it will cause damage to itself rather than to others.
- It can shield other Ocean Crawlers with an electric aura that deals shock damage to any player attacking the affected Ocean Crawler.
The Hermit is a charging Ocean Crawler with a tough shell that can emit a poisonous cloud damaging players and creatures in its immediate vicinity.
- The Hermit has approx. 175 health.
- Dying to any of the Hermit's physical attacks will make the Green Flame of Fate available.
- Dying to a poisonous cloud will make the Purple Flame of Fate available.
- The Hermit can burrow beneath the ground for a few seconds to burst out with an explosive force. Its underground location can be tracked by a series of cracks in the ground along its path.
- It can perform a fast charge, knocking back anything in its path and dealing a small amount of damage to any players unable to dodge the attack. If it misses the attack it will become stunned for a second, allowing for a chance to deal some damage upon this enemy.
- It can emit a green poisonous cloud around itself, dealing slow damage to any player within a close radius and slightly impairing vision.
- It can shield other Ocean Crawlers with a toxic aura, dealing poison damage to any player within a close radius.
The Crab is a slow-moving brute with a strong ground-shaking slam attack and a Coral Shield to protect its fellow Ocean Crawlers from damage.
- The Crab has approx. 235 health.
- Dying to the Crab will make the Green Flame of Fate available.
- The Crab can perform a ground pound attack, dealing heavy damage and knockback.
- It can curl up into itself to conjure a powerful Coral Shield to protect itself and other nearby Ocean Crawlers from incoming damage. Attacking the defending Crab Ocean Crawler will remove the defences.
Upon defeat, an Ocean Crawler has a chance to drop:
- The Eel-ectric Ocean Crawler's model may have been inspired by the real life Moray Eel.
- The Hermit Ocean Crawler's model may have been inspired by the real life Giant Clam.
- The Crab Ocean Crawler's model may have been inspired by the real life Fiddler Crab.
Ocean Crawlers spawning in on Devil's Ridge.
- 2.4.1 (January 20, 2022)
- 2.4.0 (December 2, 2021)
- Ocean Crawlers will now leave crews alone for longer between encounters.
- 2.3.1 (October 14, 2021)
- 2.2.1 (August 17, 2021)
- When encountering emergent threats while exploring islands, crews are now less likely to encounter Ocean Crawlers.
- When attacked by Ocean Crawlers while exploring islands, the number of enemies that attack in a wave has been significantly reduced.
- When facing a crew of Ocean Crawlers, crews will often find they have more time to tackle these challenging new foes before encountering additional threats.
- When engaging with the Crab or Hermit Ocean Crawlers, players can no longer push too close and hide the enemy from view.
- Hermits will no longer rush players if there is an obstacle in the way, and will now manoeuvre around the obstacle before performing an attack.
- Eel-ectrics will no longer perform an Eel Slap after dashing away from their melee target.
- Defeating Ocean Crawlers will no longer progress various fire-based Commendations and Deeds, as the Ocean Crawlers are unaffected by these weapons.
- 2.2.0 (June 22, 2021)
- Sea of Thieves Twitter, Trivia Tuesday (Aug 3, 2021)