Weapons are items used for combat against enemies or other players. A player can carry 2 out of the 4 available weapons at any time. Weapons may be swapped using an Armoury found on all ships, on the Ferry of the Damned, and outside the entrance of Weaponsmith's Shops.
All new players will automatically have the basic Sailor Cutlass, Sailor Pistol, Sailor Blunderbuss, and Sailor Eye of Reach available for use from the very start, with the Cutlass and Flintlock equipped by default.
The Flintlock, Blunderbuss, and Eye of Reach each hold 5 shots worth of ammunition at one time, which must be refilled when used up. Ammo can be refilled at an Ammo Chest or Ammo Crate.
Alternate cosmetic variants of each weapon are available for purchase from the Weaponsmith's Shop. In general, all cosmetic variants function identically, and differ only cosmetically. However shape and size may vary slightly. Certain variants of the Flintlock offer an iron sight, while certain variants of the Eye of Reach have uniquely coloured scope lens.
Cannons are stationary weapons that appear mounted on all Ships, and at most Forts and Large Islands.
Tridents of Dark Tides can be found anywhere in the Sea of Thieves, and during the A Pirate's Life Tall Tales. These tridents can fire charged bubble shots.
List of weapon types
The main weapons available to equip in a player's weapons slots are as follows, listed in order of appearance in the Armoury:
- Switching to a weapon will play a draw animation that prevents a player from attacking or aiming down sights for its duration. The same animation also plays when exiting a sprint but notably will not prevent a player from performing those actions, which allows players to skip the first animation by sprinting immediately after swapping weapons. This is colloquially referred to as a "quick swap" or a "sprint cancel", a technique most commonly used by players that have two guns equipped.
- The draw animation will not play if a gun is unloaded and the player has ammo, instead the reload animation will play immediately.
- A draw animation also plays when switching to throwables but this version of the animation can not be skipped by sprinting and will always play out in full.
- After firing a gun there is a brief hardcoded delay on how quickly a player may fire again. This delay is shorter than the draw animation that plays when switching weapons.
- When a player aims down sights there is a very brief period during the beginning of the ADS animation that prevents firing. This is commonly misidentified as a bug when players input too quickly (colloquially referred to as "ADS bug" or "gun jam") but it's unclear that this is not just a feature of the animation itself.
- A recoil animation will play immediately after firing a gun and before reloading. This animation can be skipped by any action.
- Being hit by any source of damage will eject you out of inventory and storage menus.
(per single attack)
|Rate of Fire
|Damage per second||Ammo shots|
(Unlimited melee swings)
|10 (per pellet)
100 (max, full hit)
(10 pellets per shot)
Eye of Reach
- You can use Weapons as a sort of flare by firing towards locations to indicate Players of the location or direction of a point of interest.
- While not running a Cutlass largely removes the mobility of a Pirate, double-gunning can be very effective when boarding ships as switching weapons and following gunshots next to each other can quickly pick off single enemies. For example, a Flintlock and Eye of Reach shot after one another is enough to immediately kill any Pirate at full health. Be careful, as you need time between each kill to reload both weapons.
- While an Armoury does not offer to replenish the ammo of a Firearm like the Ammo Chest does, then it can none-the-less be used to refill your Ammo, by switching weapons and then switching back to your original Firearm. This makes it possible to have longer shootouts on Outposts, as you can reload your weapons in front of the Weaponsmith's Shop.
- 18.104.22.168 (November 3, 2022)
- Players wielding weapons and equipment will now hear the intended audio effects.
- 2.6.2 (September 29, 2022)
- Players switching weapons shortly after eating will now hear the audio effect stop short, clearly indicating the action was cancelled.
- 2.4.1 (January 20, 2022)
- Improvements have been made to how hit detection calculates bullets affected by gravity, providing a small improvement to hit registration for ranged weapons when firing at medium to long-distance targets.
- Players who are Sleeping will now consistently take damage from ranged Weapon fire.
- 2.4.0 (December 2, 2021)
- Following navigation through the Tunnels of the Damned, ranged Weapons now correctly display their bullet trails.
- 2.0.4 (June 19, 2019)
- 2.0 (April 30, 2019)
- Fight with Honour – When attacking with your cutlass, striking the environment will no longer trigger a three-hit combo chain.
- 1.4.5 (March 20, 2019)
- Wielding Weapons – The forced firing delay has been removed when wielding a gun after sprinting or undocking, allowing players to fire sooner. The forced firing delay when switching weapons still remains to prevent fast switching and firing between guns.
- Sword Switching – Players are now able to switch weapons/items at any point during a light sword attack. Players are still prevented from switching during a heavy sword attack.
- Resolved eyepiece clipping issues in some Eye of Reach scopes.
- Resolved an issue preventing players from switching to an item/weapon after hitting an object with a sword swing.
- 1.4.4 (March 6, 2019)
- Sword Miss Swing Recovery - When swinging your sword and missing your opponent, there is an increased recovery delay before you can swing again. Players can move freely during this recovery, however, are prevented from attacking.
- Missed strike attack wind-down increased.
- Cutlass no longer strikes twice on-miss.
- Follow-up strikes no longer occur when striking anything other than an entity.
- When blocking cutlass attacks from an enemy, resolved an issue where light strikes could penetrate your block and cause you to be stunned.
- Switching between guns should now consistently play the full wield animation and firing delay.
- Resolved an issue when rapidly firing a weapon where a bullet would not be correctly registered as fired and would trigger the hit marker without applying damage.
- Resolved an issue where the Aim SFX for the Eye of Reach would play inconsistently.
- 1.4.3 (February 6, 2019)
- Double-Gun Switching – The Flintlock, Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach have new wield animations and enforce a delay when equipping and switching between these weapons.
- Fluid Swordplay – Missing a Cutlass swing no longer slows player movement down, ensuring a more fluid swordplay experience.
- Eye of Reach Hipfire – Reduced accuracy when hipfiring the Eye of Reach. Under pressure you can still get lucky with a Hip-Fired Eye of Reach shot, however at mid to long range this is significantly reduced.
- Weapon Knock back – Flintlock & Eye of Reach shots will no longer apply knockback to enemies hit, Cutlass and Blunderbuss however will still retain their ability knock back players. Skeletons wielding Pistol, Blunderbuss & Eye of Reach have also had their ability to knock back players removed.
- Weapon Reload Improvements – Following the recent change to the Eye of Reach, now both the Flintlock & Blunderbuss reload the moment the hammer is pulled. This allows players to sprint sooner when reloading without restarting the animation.
- Bullet Projectile Speed – Bullets fired from a Blunderbuss or Eye of Reach now travel faster through the air, providing more predictable accuracy at range.
- Weapon Damage Falloff – Bullet damage no longer decreases over distance.
- Eye of Reach Damage – Reduced Eye of Reach Damage by a small amount to ensure this weapon's damage is balanced following the improvements to bullet speed and damage falloff.
- 1.4.0 (November 28, 2018)
- Smoke VFX will now appear correctly when shooting any gun while swimming on the surface of the water.
- 1.3.2 (October 31, 2018)
- Eye of Reach - Players can now sprint as soon as the Eye of Reach is cocked, no longer restarting the animation.
- The animation for the second swing of the three hit combo with the Cutlass now appears as intended.
- 1.3.1 (October 10, 2018)
- Looking through the scope of an Eye of Reach will no longer trigger the sound effect multiple times.
- 1.3.0 (September 27, 2018)
- The animation for reloading the pistol will now appear consistently.
- 1.2.5 (September 6, 2018)
- Shooting a Blunderbuss underwater will now display the correct VFX.
- 1.1.8 (July 26, 2018)
- Screen stutter has been reduced aiming down sights.
- 1.1.1 (June 5, 2018)
- After equipping a weapon from the Armoury, aim sensitivity will no longer default to high the first time you aim down the sight.
- 1.0.8 (May 23, 2018)
- Visual Effects - Improved multiple VFX of weapon impact to grass terrain.
- Improved gunplay in high-latency network conditions.
- 1.0.5 (April 24, 2018)
- Players will no longer be stuck with a single weapon slot and players weapon choice will now also persist across sessions.
- Players who were experiencing the Single Weapon Slot issue will now be resolved as soon as they load into game.
- 1.0.4 (April 18, 2018)
- Players weapon selection from the Armoury should no longer reset to default after death.
- 1.0.3 (April 11, 2018)
- Weapon Balancing - Reduced Blunderbuss Damage and Increased Eye of Reach damage.
- Players should no longer get into a state where they can no longer equip a second weapon.
- 1.0.1 (March 27, 2018)
- Weapon cosmetic changes made after migrating server will now persist across sessions.
- First Release (March 20, 2018)
- Removed Auto-Lock on Melee Attacks – We received feedback from our Betas and Scale Tests that this was a clunky experience, so it has now been removed. No more accidental cutlass-killing the pirate crews you’ve made un-easy alliances with!