The Shadow Skeleton is a variant of skeleton found in the Sea of Thieves. They do not spawn regularly on islands and can only be found as part of Order of Souls Bounty Voyage missions, in waves on a Skeleton Fort, or on the a Skeleton Ship.
At night, Shadow Skeletons are intangible, taking no damage from any attacks until exposed to bright light, which stuns them temporarily and makes them vulnerable for about ten seconds. Like other variants of Skeletons, they can spawn with a Cutlass, a Pistol or a Blunderbuss, or no weapon at all (unarmed attacks). On Skeleton Ships, they can spawn with an Eye of Reach in Crow's Nests. They can eat a banana to recover some of their health.
Tips and Tricks
- If fighting waves of skeletons at night or with night impending, having a lantern ready is crucial for fighting these skeletons.
- When light is first shone on them, Shadow Skeletons will become stunned. After regaining their composure, their vulnerability lasts for approximately 10-15 seconds.
- The easiest way to do this is by raising a lit lantern near them.
- Alternatively, one can use Signal Flares.
- As is true with the other skeleton types, a Gunpowder Barrel or well positioned Cannon can be very effective at speeding up a fight with Shadow Skeletons, though the 'light' from the cannonball explosion or the gunpowder barrel explosion does not count as a light source and will not make them vulnerable or stun them.
|Shadow Skeleton Commendations
|Shadow Skeleton Exploder
|Kill 3 Shadow Skeletons at the same time by shooting a gunpowder skeleton, 3 times
|Master Shadow Skeleton Exploder
|Kill 3 Shadow Skeletons at the same time by shooting a gunpowder skeleton, 10 times
|Torched Shadow Skeletons
|Use fire against 3 Shadow Skeletons at once, 10 times.
|Raging Torched Shadow Skeletons
|Use fire against 3 Shadow Skeletons at once, 50 times.
Note: There are multiple other commendations which these skeletons can contribute to, for which it does not matter that they are Shadow Skeletons.
For example: As Shadow Skeletons can spawn with Gunpowder Barrels on Skeleton Forts, they can contribute toward the Chain Reaction and Gunpowder Plot commendations. Also, the The Flame of Cursed Bones commendation can be completed by dying to one of these and fetching the flame from the Ferry of the Damned. Likewise, these can be killed while under the influence of green-colored Cursed Cannonballs to get the commendations related to doing that.
- At great distances, in caves, and at night, sometimes only the glowing eyes of these skeletons can be seen, making them quite ghostly, indeed!
- As long as it's daytime, Shadow Skeletons will not turn invulnerable even if they're below deck on a ship or deep in a cave. Guess they're not morning people!
- 2.5.0 (March 10, 2022)
- Shadow Skeletons exposed to light are now vulnerable for longer.
- First Release (March 20, 2018)