Creatures are animals, enemies, and decorative wildlife in Sea of Thieves.
With the exclusion of fish, these are animals that are requested by the Merchant Alliance in Merchant Voyage. They can be found on large and small islands, excluding islands within The Devil's Roar, and can be captured in cages.
- Chicken: Passive animal that frequently clucks. It can be captured in a Chicken Coop. There are White Feathered Chickens, Red Speckled Chickens, Black Plumed Chickens, and Golden Chickens.
- Fish: Passive animal that will not appear without a Fishing Rod. Found in any body of water big enough to cast in. Unlike other animals, Fish are turned into The Hunter's Call.
- Pig: Passive animal that requires constant feeding when captured. It is captured in a Pig Crate. There are Pink Bristled Pigs, Pink and Black Spotted Pigs, Black Pigs, and Golden Striped Pigs.
- Snake: Aggressive animal that will attack nearby players by spitting venom. It can be captured in a Snake Basket. Can be charmed with music. There are Blue Snakes, Red and White Striped Snakes, Black Scaled Snakes, and Golden Snakes.
Enemies are creatures and NPCs that attack players. They range from the weak & common enemies, with little reward, to the stronger bosses with unique abilities that yield lucrative rewards.
Pets are animal companions that can accompany players on their adventures. They can be bought at the Pirate Emporium.
Decorative wildlife that cannot be interacted with or killed.
- Bats: Found in caves. Also seen flying over islands in The Wilds.
- Fish: Found in the water near the shores of Islands. (Not to be confused with Fish that can be caught with a Fishing Rod)
- Seagulls: Flies above floating Barrels and Shipwrecks. A small flock over the ocean indicates floating barrels, and a large flock over the ocean indicates a shipwreck.
- Parrots: Flocks of Parrots fly randomly over Island areas.
- Rats: Found in ships and can appear in different levels depending on the amount of water in the ship.
A friendly mermaid arrives to rescue players from the ocean if they are in the water and far from their ship.
Ally mermaids produce a blue smoke to indicate their location, where as mermaids spawned by enemy players do not.
- 2.7.2 (January 19, 2023)
- Animals will now take damage when caught in the blast of cannon fire, explosions and Blunderbombs.
- 2.7.1 (December 15, 2022)
- After killing a pig, snake or chicken, the audio effects for hitting them should no longer be heard repeatedly.
- 2.5.1 (April 7, 2022)
- Snakes and pigs have been demoted from Sea Fort Captain status and now award the correct Seasonal Renown.
- Killing small animals while they are running will no longer cause them to slide across the ground.
- 2.4.1 (January 20, 2022)
- 2.4.0 (December 2, 2021)
- Introduced Rats.
- 2.3.2 (November 11, 2021)
- When caging animals, leaving them on an island and returning from some distance away should no longer cause them to change colour.
- 2.0.12 (February 19, 2020)
- Snakes will once again attack players when placed down while inside a basket.
- 2.0.8 (October 16, 2019)
- Selling a snake to the Merchant Alliance now correctly removes the snake audio effects from the world.
- 2.0.4 (June 19, 2019)
- Feeding a pig no longer heals the player.
- 1.4.3 (February 6, 2019)
- Pigs can now be fed correctly after Migrating with the Ship.
- Snakes inside baskets should now correctly agitate and attack players after migrating with your ship.
- Snakes now correctly take damage from being shot in the head.
- Snakes placed in basket no longer clip through the bottom of the basket.
- 1.4.0 (November 28, 2018)
- Upon leaving and returning to a caged Pig, it will no longer be difficult to feed when holding a Banana.
- Snakes in baskets can no longer attack players through the decks of ships.
- Upon charming and killing a snake, the hissing noise will no longer persist in that location.
- 1.2.5 (September 6, 2018)
- Caged Pigs can now be fed again!
- 1.2.1 (August 8, 2018)
- Animals now spawn as intended.
- 1.1.7 (July 19, 2018)
- Caged Pigs and Chickens no longer get the cannonball impact decal applied to them if dropped on to one.
- 1.1.4 (June 28, 2018)
- Being poisoned by a snake no longer shows the VFX a second time.
- 1.0.8 (May 23, 2018)
- Distressed Chickens - The unsettling sound of a squawking chicken whilst caged is now... more bearable.
- Chicken movement should no longer appear jittery.
- 1.0.5 (April 24, 2018)
- Animals should no longer despawn when players climb in and out of the cannon.
- 1.0.1 (March 27, 2018)
- Snakes will now behave correctly, turning to face the player when agitated.
- Animal movement around slopes has been improved.
- Seagulls now fly over floating barrels.
- First Release (March 20, 2018)
- Animal movement no longer appear jittery.