Player Alliance is a mechanic in Sea of Thieves that allows multiple ships on a server to share the payout from sold treasure. Ships within an Alliance all sail under the same Alliance pennant flag and have the ability to see each other's ships on the Map Table.
An Alliance only exists during the session it was created and does not carry over to other play sessions.
Forming an Alliance
To form an Alliance, at least two ships must be nearby to each other. One ship must first raise the "Offer Alliance" Pennant flag located in "Alliances" tab of the Flag Box, then the other ships will be able to select "Join Alliance" from their ships' Flag Box. Alliances are automatically assigned a name and corresponding coloured pennant flag.
To leave an Alliance, simply select "Leave Alliance" from the Flag Box. This can be done at any time.
- All ships on a server may be part of the same Alliance.
- All ships in the same Alliance are visible to each other on their Map Table.
- Alliance members can place Voyages on the Voyage Table of other ships in the Alliance.
- Alliance members can dig up treasures from Riddle Maps and X Marks the Spot Maps belonging to other crews in the same Alliance.
- When an Alliance is formed with another crew, the other crews members' gamertags will be coloured purple to help identify Alliance members.
- Alliance crews can still kill, sink, and steal from each other.
- When selling treasure:
- The crew selling receives 100% of the rewards
- Other crews in the Alliance receive 50% of the gold value.
- Broken Emissary Flags and Reaper's Chests sold to the Reaper's Bones don't share rewards across Alliances.
- Other progress is not shared, with the exception of specially marked, Alliance-focused Commendations.
List of Alliance names and colours
- White with Red Heart - Offering an Alliance
- Blue - The Resolute Scallywags
- Black - The Terrifying Powder Monkeys
- Brown - The Fearless Soap Dodgers
- Green - The Spirited Landlubbers
- Yellow - The Undefeated Grog-Swiggers
- Grey - The Unstoppable Skinflints
- Purple - The Renowned Scoundrels
Various Commendations are tied to accomplishments achieved in Player Alliances:
Order of Souls
|United Against the Damned||Defeat 25 Ghost Ships whilst in an Alliance.
|United Against the Flame||Defeat the Burning Blade whilst in an Alliance.||n/a|
|Fleet Protectors of The Wilds||Win 'The Final Stand of The Wilds' whilst in an Alliance that are all running The Wilds sails
|Fleet Protectors of The Shores of Plenty||Win 'The Final Stand of The Shores of Plenty' whilst in an Alliance that are all running The Shores of Plenty sails
|Fleet Protectors of The Ancient Isles||Win 'The Final Stand of The Ancient Isles' whilst in an Alliance that are all running The Ancient Isles sails
|United Scourge of Skeleton Ships||Defeat 25 Skeleton Ships whilst in an Alliance.||n/a|
The Cursed Crews
|The Cursed Crews||Complete 1 Voyage as a crew flying the Reaper's Mark while in an Alliance.||+15 |
|Fleet Cargo Runner||Deliver 3 pieces of Cargo on time and in prime condition (while in an Alliance)||+5 |
Festival of the Damned
|Alliance of the Damned||Be in an Alliance with all ship lanterns ignited in the same colour.||+20 |
|Skies of Friendship||Set off fireworks while in an Alliance.||Unlocks Party Boat Flag for purchase.|
- You can join an Alliance with a ship that's already sunk. Essentially, if the Alliance pennant is still visible above the water and you are in range to join the Alliance, you can do it!
The "Offer Alliance" Pennant equipped.
- 1.2.4 (August 30, 2018)
- Map Table Alliance Flags - Alliance flag colours for both your ship and allied ships now appear on your map table’s off-screen marker.
- Alliances can now contain more than two crews.
- When offered an Alliance by multiple crews, acceptance now only allies you with the closest ship.
- 1.2.1 (August 8, 2018)
- Alliance join/leave/disband pop-ups now appear even when the player is in the Flag Box menu.
- 1.2.0 (July 31, 2018)