The Rowboat is a miniature vessel in Sea of Thieves that can be used by a single player to slowly travel the seas or to make hauling large quantities of Treasure easier. It spawns on Islands, and can be docked aboard the stern of Ships or dedicated locations upon the Sovereign docks.
Where to Find
A Rowboat has a chance to appear on any Islands with the exception of Outposts and Seaposts. Rowboats that spawn on Forts often get stuck in the heavy fortifications and cannot be retrieved as easily.
Any rowboat left behind by a Ship will stay afloat at that spot. Due to this, Rowboats can often be found floating by Outposts, as any Rowboat docked on a Ship whose Crew has left the game after a turn-in will stay afloat.
Some Rowboats will spawn with a Harpoon attached above the Lantern on the front, making it possible to pick up Items or floating Barrels, other Players or latch onto and surf behind Ships, Skeleton Ships or even Megalodons.
Arena featured six unique variants of Harpoon Rowboat; one for each team. These would spawn attached to all ships at the start of each Arena match and would not respawn with the ship. The chests of these rowboats would always spawn empty.
Some Rowboats will spawn with a small Cannon attached above the Lantern on the front. This Cannon functions identically to a Ship Cannon, allowing for a Cannonball, Cursed Cannonball, Throwable, Pet or even a Player to be launched from it. When fired, the Rowboat will launch backwards slightly due to a recoil from the Cannon.
During the Lost Sands adventure, all rowboats spawned with a Reaper's Bones paint job, a Soulflame Lantern on the front, and a special keg strapped onto the back. They may come in Cannon, Harpoon, or Unequipped variants. The keg cannot be detached from the rowboat, and is sturdier than the standard explosive, requiring more damage before exploding. The fuse of the keg may also be instantaneously lit and extinguished by interacting with it.
Damage done to the keg is separate from damage dealt to the rowboat so there is no indicator of it's remaining health. Any time the keg takes damage, it will cause it to smoke for a short period of time. Kegs themselves require approximately 2 - 5 hits before they explode.
Making the keg explode will instantly sink the rowboat; it will not remain at the surface for a short period like other rowboats when they are destroyed.
Each Rowboat has a Supply Box on the back seat that can be used to store Resources.
The Rowboat Chest has 16 slots that can each hold up to 20 of any Resource Items. The maximum Storage capacity of a Rowboat Chest is 320 Items.
Every Rowboat Chest spawns with numerous Supply items (even Meat and Fish), which makes them valuable for restocking on Supplies.
The Rowboat Chest is still accessible after the Rowboat itself breaks, allowing Players to save any valuable Supplies in the Chest. The Rowboat itself will disappear within a minute, taking the Chest and all remaining Supplies with it.
Every ship has a Rowboat Dock at the stern, allowing crews to transport a Rowboat across long distances. In order to Dock a Rowboat, a Player needs to row it behind a Ship until the Dock Rowboat prompt comes up. A Rowboat can be Docked from anywhere close to the stern of the ship, even in water, however it can only be Undocked on the Ship.
The Rowboat Dock on a Sloop is behind the Map Table, on a Brigantine it is behind the Wheel and on the Galleon the Dock is on the Balcony behind the Captain's Quarters.
Additionally, all Outposts have a docking location for rowboats along the side of the Sovereigns dock.
- The rowboat is small enough to fit through tight spaces that ships cannot access, making it an ideal transport vessel for smuggling treasure.
- A rowboat has four seats arranged 1:2:1 with the front pilot seat facing backwards.
- Each rowboat has a lantern in the front that can be turned on and off and also equipped with Flames of Fate.
- Pets can be placed to perch on a rowboat.
- Should the ship be sunk, the rowboat automatically detaches, allowing surviving crew members to gather their belongings.
- A rowboat can be damaged into an unusable state, disabling all functions, after which it will sink, dropping any loot placed onto it.
- It has a health of 200 yet cannot take damage through weapons.
- 2.7.2 (January 19, 2023)
- Pirates will no longer appear tiny if they emerge from a Rowboat Cannon when returning to the ship via a Mermaid.
- 2.5.0 (March 10, 2022)
- Removed Arena variants with the closure of Arena.
- When players sit in a Rowboat, interaction prompts for nearby seats and objects are no longer shown as they cannot be interacted with until the player stands.
- 2.4.1 (January 20, 2022)
- When a Rowboat's storage chest is emptied, the tooltip now updates to show ‘Empty’ without needing to open it.
- Rowboats can no longer be pushed into the Castaway's Hut.
- When players stop rowing and set down the oars, the audio effect will no longer play for longer than intended.
- When returning to a ship from the Ferry of the Damned, the ropes holding a docked Rowboat should now be shown correctly.
- 2.4.0 (December 2, 2021)
- Added Cannon Rowboats.
- When docking a rowboat to a ship, it will now dock to the orientation it was facing in the water.
- 2.3.1 (October 14, 2021)
- Players should now find Rowboats and Harpoon Rowboats appearing emergently across the seas with the intended frequency.
- 2.2.1 (August 17, 2021)
- The rowboat’s back seat now shows both ‘Sit in Seat’ and ‘Open Storage’ options together.
- To sit in a Rowboat’s passenger seats, players will be prompted by ‘Hold to Sit’ instead of ‘Press to Sit’. Controlling the oars remains unchanged and is still ‘Press to Sit’.
- After unbinding the Rowboat controls, the Rowboat tutorial prompt should now display correctly.
- 2.0.14 (April 22, 2020)
- Added rowboats to Arena which feature unique color palettes based on Arena's six teams.
- 2.0.6 (August 14, 2019)
- Added Harpoon Rowboats.
- 2.0.4 (June 19, 2019)
- Rowboat Audio – Players will now hear audio when interacting with functions of the Rowboat such as climbing in, sitting and using the oars.
- 1.4.3 (February 6, 2019)
- Rowboats now make a noise when you hit them with your ship.
- Rowboats can now be rowed slowly in Kraken Ink.
- 1.4.2 (January 3, 2019)
- Players no longer get teleported to the middle of the map while on a Rowboat during server migration.
- 1.4.0 (November 28, 2018)
- Rowboat Push - The angle from which you can push a stuck Rowboat has been improved, which should make it easier to get it out of tight spots!
- Rowboat Docking - Players can now dock/detach the Rowboat from their ship while sitting in the Rowboat.
- Crews are now eligible for server migration when they have a Rowboat docked to their ship.
- 1.3.2 (October 31, 2018)
- Rowboats - Reduced the time it takes to dock to the rowboat oars, allowing you to begin rowing sooner.
- Oars no longer appear to disconnect from the Rowboat when rowing.
- Rowboats now correctly collide with the Kraken tentacles.
- Rowboat oar splash VFX will no longer trigger even when no one is in the boat.
- Rowboats now take significant damage when rammed by a Megalodon.
- Rowboats will no longer appear to float into the air following a server migration.
- After server migration players no longer jitter around after jumping on the rowboat.
- When using the rowboat oars, the player's shadow no longer appears detached from the oars.
- 1.3.1 (October 10, 2018)
- Rowboat Damage - Increased damage now taken by Rowboats from Gunpowder Barrels.
- Stuck Rowboats - You can now push Rowboats that are stuck underneath things such as piers.
- Rowboats now cast appropriate reflections in water.
- Rowboats no longer get damaged when detaching from a ship.
- Player sitting in the middle of the Rowboat can now see players sitting at the back of the Rowboat.
- Removed overlapping audio when rowing.
- Damaged Rowboats no longer appear pristine upon returning to them after venturing far away.
- Rowboats no longer inherit damage decals from other sources (such as damaged ships or shipwrecks) when in close vicinity.
- Looking as far left/right as possible whilst rowing a Rowboat will no longer result in the camera becoming occasionally unlocked and rotating 360 degrees.
- When placing larger items on the Rowboat, water splash VFX will no longer occur.
- Audio when rowing a Rowboat over large distances (especially the squeaking) is now less repetitive.
- 1.3.0 (September 27, 2018)