Time for a suitably spine-chilling Sea of Thieves content update as the cold nights draw in! The Shadows of Fate are back, spreading across the world like a plague, and there are Voyages and Challenges to lead brave crews into action and deliver both answers and rewards. Time to find out the Fate of the Damned...
Raise your lantern and explore the release notes below to unearth everything that's new in the Fate of the Damned content update, including events and rewards, gameplay and accessibility improvements and eerie Pirate Emporium additions.
FATE OF THE DAMNED
- During the Fate of the Damned update, each week unlocks new Challenges for crews, which will have them face off against the surging threat from the Sea of the Damned. Battle to take back control through the Fate of the Wild Shores, Fate of the Ancient Sands and Fate of the Roaring Skies!
- Alongside the weekly Challenges, crews can also take on the Slayer of Fate Challenge at any time to unlock new rewards.
- A new in-game Events menu allows players to track their progress through Challenges and see rewards earned.
- Larinna has been investigating the mysterious goings-on, but her Bilge Rat crews have gone missing. Take on Voyages to find their last known whereabouts, share their Flames and uncover their stories.
- Each week Larinna offers a different Voyage into a different region of the world, where you’ll meet some familiar faces and learn more about the skeletons’ foul rituals.
- Beware! A wicked threat from the Sea of the Damned has been summoned back into the world by these rituals. Keep your wits about you and use the Flames of Fate to best your foes.
- Victorious crews will be rewarded with offerings to the Order of Souls and a precious Ritual Skull, readying them for a daring assault on the Fort of the Damned.
Fate of the Damned Rewards
- Completing any Fate of the Damned Voyage will unlock the terrifying Face of Fear cosmetic item.
- Defeating the Slayer of Fate Challenge will unlock the Soulflame Lantern, whose glow is sure to give even the sturdiest sailor shivers.
- Progressing through any Fate of the Damned Challenges will unlock the Weapons, gleaming with the energy of departed souls.
- Pirate Legends who complete all Fate of the Damned Challenges will unlock the ability to purchase the Soulflame Captain and Crew Costumes directly from Larinna, allowing any members of their crew to wear the Soulflame Crew Costumes and join in the fun!
- All Soulflame cosmetics will be shipped to the Pirate Legend Hideout when the Fate of the Damned update ends – collect them now before they’re sealed behind the waterfall!
Fate of the Damned Events
- Alongside the Fate of the Damned Challenges, players can find information on Daily Bounties, Gold Rush multipliers and other live events in this update by using the new in-game Event menu or our Events Hub on the Sea of Thieves website.
- As the threats of the Sea of the Damned sneak through to the Sea of Thieves, it’s time for a Ghoul & Glory Weekend! Earn double gold and reputation during the last weekend of October.
- Fort Nights are back! On Fridays, head to an active Skeleton Fort or brave the dreaded Fort of the Damned and storm those Vaults for boosted Stronghold rewards.
- During the Fate of the Damned update, each day hosts a Stronghold Sharefest when three of your Stronghold loot items will earn you 5000 gold if handed in by another crew!
Tricky treats in the Pirate Emporium this month include the Soulflame Ship Collection, new Skeleton Mau and Skeleton Alsatian pets, frightening facepaints, emotes that employ a lively skeleton’s arm and a free Lantern Dance emote!
- Dress your ship to haunt the seas with the Soulflame Ship Collection, complete with a spectral Collector's Figurehead and Sails!
- A Soulflame Ship Bundle is also on offer, including all the regular ship cosmetics at a terrifyingly good discount.
- For Emporium customers with fewer Ancient Coins to spare who still want a spooky look for their ship, an Essential Bundle now offers just the Figurehead, Hull, Sails and Flag!
- A Skeleton Alsatian and Skeleton Mau are now available from the Pirate Emporium, along with the returning Skeleton Cockatoo and Skeleton Marmoset. All are time-limited for the duration of the Fate of the Damned update.
- For bargain hunters, the following Bundles are all offered at a discount: the Skeleton Big Pet Bundle including a skeletal cat and dog, the Skeleton Little Pet Bundle with a bony parrot and monkey and a Skeleton Mixed Pet Bundle offering all the skeleton pets!
- Give rival crews a good scare with four new luminescent facepaints!
- A skelly will give you a hand with four silly new emotes using a brand new prop.
Lantern Dance Freebie Emote
- Feeling in the mood for a party? Show off your skills with the free Lantern Dance emote!
Skeleton Pet Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores, this bundle contains the skeletal Mau and Alsatian along with 1000 Ancient Coins and a bonus 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
- Available from Larinna this month in exchange for your Doubloons are the Aristocrat Belt, Boots, Eyepatch, Gloves and Hook and Trousers.
- The Wild Rose Banjo, Concertina, Hurdy Gurdy and Drum can also be purchased from Larinna with Doubloons.
- When waking up at the start of a session, players may now find Mysterious Notes left beside them. Follow these notes to be directed to the various activities across the Sea of Thieves with each new content update.
- When collecting a Mysterious Note, a pop-up will now appear as the note is added to your inventory. All Mysterious Notes collected can be browsed within a new section in the Quest Radial.
In-Game Event Tracking
- The in-game menu now contains an Events tab, showcasing the current events taking place across the Sea of Thieves and tracking your progress through them.
- When a Flameheart Ghost Ship encounter is active, the area in which music and menacing remarks from Flameheart can be heard around the islands has been reduced.
Ashen Lords Balancing
- Ashen Lords now have reduced health.
- Cashing in an Ashen Winds Skull is now worth double the gold.
- When defeating an Ashen Lord, players will be guaranteed a Chest of Rage and a Ritual Skull as rewards, with all rewards gained from this encounter increased in value.
Emergent Captain Balancing
- Emergent Skeleton Captains, Key Masters and Guardians that appear emergently on islands have been reduced in difficulty.
- With the Festival of the Damned season in full swing, Outposts are decorated with pumpkins in celebration of the ne’er-forgotten soul of the Ferryman.
Skipping the Intro Cutscene
- Players can now opt to skip the front end intro animation by enabling ‘Auto-skip Intro Animatic’ in Video Settings.
Shark Hunter Ship Set
- The previously unavailable Cannons, Capstan,
Figurehead, Flag* and Wheel are now purchasable for gold at any Outpost shipwright.
- * Release Note Error: Shark Hunter Figurehead and Flag are mistakenly mentioned here and have been available to purchase since patch 1.1.0.
Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S Optimisations
- Sea of Thieves has been optimised in preparation for the next generation of Xbox consoles with Series S and Series X.
- Players can now bind a key to ‘Auto Move’, allowing their pirate to move forward in that direction until stopped.
- ‘Auto Move’ functions as expected while traversing land or swimming, but also applies forward motion to actions such as raising the capstan and climbing ladders. While players will still need to interact with these items to begin, the use of ‘Auto Move’ can remove the need for a held action during the interaction.
- When ‘Let Games Read to Me’ is enabled, emotes performed by other pirates will now be narrated and described to the player.
- Hiding Emotes that hide the player’s gamertag will not be narrated.
- When performing an emote, you should now consistently perform that action for any players observing you.
- When a Megalodon appears alongside a Sloop, it should now circle the ship and more frequently find opportunities to attack while the ship is moving.
- Reaper’s Chests earned from the Fort of the Damned should now have a Reaper’s Beacon.
- Ashen Artifacts dropped by Ashen Skeletons now provide Emissary Grade progression when taken.
- Firebombs should now deal consistent damage to animals.
- When a player has acquired the maximum number of food items, the number shown should now be marked in red.
- After lighting all the Flame of Fate beacons at the Fort of the Damned, Graymarrow should climb out of the ground instead of appearing from nowhere.
- There is now a loading screen while going through the Pirate Legend Hideout waterfall entrance.
- When at Ancient Spire Outpost, players should now safely teleport to the intended location.
- The Legendary Skeleton Exploder Commendation should now be visible to players in their reputation page under Gunpowder Skeletons in the Bilge Rats tab.
- The Commendation counters shown on the reputation pages now more accurately represent players’ progress with a Trading Company.
- Quickly pressing the primary use key while holding a pet should no longer disable the ‘give pet’ animation.
- The ‘Drop Capstan’ tutorial prompt now resets properly if the player’s ship sinks while on-screen within the radius of the Maiden Voyage island.
- When playing with Korean language settings, players are once again able to offer their soul to the Ferryman to skip the revival duration.
- The Ancient Vault Key will now disappear once the Vault is complete.
- If an Ancient Vault is active, that Vault will no longer be selected for use in another crew’s Tall Tale.
- If an Ancient Vault becomes active, other crews will be notified that the Vault is unavailable when approaching the door.
- Rowboats should no longer clip through the Ancient Vault door.
- It should now be less likely for players to have more than one torn map piece per island.
- ‘Heart of Fire’ – The lever in Stitcher Jim’s Hideout now works repeatedly as intended.
- ‘Heart of Fire’ – Dying and then being revived in lava now properly kills the revived player again.
- ‘Heart of Fire’ – This Tall Tale no longer shows as ‘New’ in the Tall Tales tab.
- Switching currency should now properly update the price in the item preview window.
- Emergent locations on Discovery Ridge for animal crates and Gunpowder Barrels have been updated to ensure they can be reached by players.
- When engaging the Skeleton Fort on Sailor’s Knot Stronghold, upon reaching the Skeleton Lord players should no longer become stuck in the Fort wall during combat.
- The rocks near Dagger Tooth Outpost now have appropriate collisions.
- Players can no longer get stuck in the Pirate Legend Hideout and appear in the sea near the Sea Dogs’ Arena.
- Players should no longer be safe teleported when moving around the Ancient Vault entrances.
- The walls of the tunnel outside the Vault on Mermaid’s Hideaway should be visible at all times.
- The corrupt textures in the Kraken’s Fall Vault have been removed.
- The dust/rock VFX will no longer be floating near the Kraken’s Fall Ancient Vault rock door.
- Players should no longer be able to dig the ground inside the weapon and equipment shops on Outposts.
- There is no longer a hole in the western rock outcrop on Shores of Gold.
- The skull lamp at Marauder’s Arch should now be attached to a post and no longer floating in mid-air.
Visual and Audio
- When following an ‘X Marks the Spot’ Map, the ‘thunk’ sound can now be heard upon digging at the right location.
- When the Ashen Curse is equipped, it should now appear while on the Ferry of the Damned.
- The Hunter Figurehead, Crab and Parrot Figurehead now have the correct icons when viewed in the Ship Customisation Chest.
- Players should now be able to scroll down to the last option on the Video Settings page.
- The last crew to vote for the migration after the contest will no longer be stuck on the ‘recording results’ message and instead migrate as intended.
- Steam players should now be able to join an active custom server after receiving an invite.
- Players should no longer be able to browse the store at North Star Seapost while on a Custom Server.
- Players should no longer be able to browse Larinna’s Black Market while on a Custom Server.
- Players who unlocked incorrect achievements on Steam before June 3rd 2020 will now have the incorrect achievements removed upon next login (but if the achievement was legitimately earned since then it will stay).
- Players who have not had their Xbox achievements carried over to Steam will find their achievements correctly synchronised when logging in following the Fate of the Damned update.
- When attempting to join a game without an invite on Steam, players will now be shown the correct notification message.
Performance and Stability
- Improvements to server performance reducing latency, lag spikes, ‘rubberbanding’ and server correction during gameplay.
- Improved client stability when loading into The Arena tavern upon selecting Duo Sloop Open Crew.
- Improved client stability when idling on the Ferry of the Damned for an extended duration.
- Improved server stability when progressing through Tall Tales.
- Improved Xbox loading times from when a player sets sail on the front end to when they arrive in the world.
- Improved and optimised client performance.
- Optimised a range of islands across The Devil’s Roar to improve client performance.
- Camera movement should now feel smoother when using the mouse and keyboard on Xbox consoles.
In-Game Event Tracking
- On rare occasions, players can end up with their event progress out of sync when viewed via the in-game Events menu. This can be fixed by restarting the game and logging back in.
Mysterious Note Completion
- When following the actions defined in a Mysterious Note, the note will not be removed from your radial until the next time you log in.
Fate of the Damned Voyage Localisation
- Players may find that text encountered during Fate of the Damned Voyages is missing its translation in languages other than English.
Players Impacted Following Server Migration
- We are currently tracking a number of player-impacting issues which can occur following a server migration. These include crews migrating near Outposts finding themselves moved to a location where another ship is already present, and issues with ship interaction points following a migration.
Ranged and Melee Weapon Hit Detection
- In areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While improvements continue to be delivered during our content updates, this continues to be a key priority for the team.
Stuck UI Menus
- When interacting with a barrel and moving quickly through its inventory, players may find that the barrel’s state is not updated as items are removed. Players can also experience Game Options becoming stuck on screen when exiting a barrel in this state.
To learn more about known issues in Sea of Thieves currently being tracked and their status, head over to our Known Issues support site article.
Download and Installation
- Xbox One: 5.82 GB
- Xbox One X: 7.72 GB
- Windows 10: 8.12 GB
- Steam: 5.46 GB