Trading Companies are the established organisations of Sea of Thieves for whom players can work to earn reputation and commendations with. There are various Trading Companies, each focusing on a specific type of in-game content, and each with their own treasure, quests types, Voyages and themed cosmetics. Most Trading Company representatives can be found on Outposts, though there are companies that act independently, such as The Hunter's Call who are based on Sea Posts and the Reaper's Bones who are based at The Reaper's Hideout.
Trading Companies offer players and crews various features on the seas:
- Allows crews to sell company specific treasure to in exchage for gold and reputation.
- A set of promotion ranks achieved by acquiring reputation with the company.
- Access to various commendations that unlock titles.
- Access to themed Voyages that send crews on quests relevant to the company that sold them.
- Access to Emissary Flags which are raised to represent the company on the seas in return for higher gold and reputation gains.
- Access to company specific themed cosmetic sets.
- A way to become a Pirate Legend via reaching at least reputation level 50 with any three companies.
List of Trading Companies
The Gold Hoarders are a greedy, gold-loving bunch serving the Gold Hoarder and his interest of amassing great hoards of Gold. Their Treasure of choice is locked Treasure Chests and valuable Artefacts. Gold Hoarders send Player Crews on Voyages composed of Riddle Maps, X Marks the Spot Maps or Torn Treasure Maps. High Grade Gold Hoarder Emissaries can claim a high-value Gold Hoarders Emissary Quest. Those seeking favour, Reputation, and Promotions with the Gold Hoarders can work themselves up to Rank 75. High ranking Gold Hoarders can show off unique Gold Hoarder Set Cosmetics, such as upgradable Compasses, Shovels, and Ship Cosmetics. Gold Hoarder followers also gain access to the Royal Sovereign Set. Gold Hoarder Representatives can be found at every Outpost, rubbing their hands together inside their Green and Gold Tents.
Order of Souls
The Order of Souls is a mystical company that desires control over the magical forces of The Sea of Thieves. Order of Souls Mystics send Crews on Bounty Voyages to hunt and kill Skeleton Captains or Ghost Ships for their cursed Skulls, for which they pay Gold for and increase the Player's Reputation with their company. Order of Souls use these Skulls to retrieve their memories, which they put on parchments that make up the majority of Maps in The Sea of Thieves. Those seeking favour, Reputation and Promotions with the Order of Souls can work themselves up to Rank 75. High ranking Order of Souls followers can show off unique Order of Souls Set Cosmetics, such as upgradable soul Tankards and Lanterns, and Ship Cosmetics. Those working for the Order of Souls can also gain access to the Rogue Sea Dog Set. High Grade Order of Souls Emissaries can claim a high-value Order of Souls Emissary Quest. Order of Souls Madames can be found at every Outpost, laying low in their gloomy purple tents.
The Merchant Alliance are ex Grand Maritime Union members who value efficiency, quality and speed. They seek to control the Trade of The Sea of Thieves, by issuing orders for several types of Consignments, such as prized Animals, Cargo Crates, Trade Good Crates, Resource Crates, etc... Each of their Voyages order Players to pick up an order or find a certain valuable commodity on the seas and then deliver them to a specific NPC or Trader on the seas in good condition and by a set date and time. Those seeking the favour, Reputation and Promotions with the Merchant Alliance can work themselves up to Rank 75. High ranking Merchant Alliance followers can show off unique Merchant Alliance Set Cosmetics, such as upgradable Spyglasses and Pocket Watches, as well as Ship Cosmetics. Busy merchants can eventually also gain access to the Grand Admiral Set. High Grade Merchant Alliance Emissaries can claim a high-value Merchant Alliance Emissary Quest. Merchant Alliance Senior Traders can be found on the docks of each Outpost, impatiently waiting to give out their next assignments.
The Reaper's Bones are followers of Captain Flameheart, who stands for true piracy on the seas. They seek to steal and plunder everything without limits, accepting any and all Treasure at their pirate haven on The Reaper's Hideout. Reaper's Bones do not offer Voyages and send Players as Emissaries to sink any other Trading Company representing Crew, claim their valuables and return them to The Servant of the Flame on the Hideout. Due to their rivalry with the other Companies, Reaper's Bones do not have any representatives on Outposts, instead hiding Reaper's Shrines there. Those seeking favour, Reputation and Promotions with the Reaper's Bones have 75 Ranks they can progress through. High ranking Reaper's Bones followers gain access to unique Reaper's Bones Set Cosmetics, such as upgradable Cannons and Figureheads, as well as other Ship Cosmetics. High Ranking Reaper's Bones Emissaries gain the power to see all other Trading Company Emissaries on the seas. In return, the ships of the Reaper's are always visible to everyone on the Map Table.
The Hunter's Call
The Hunter's Call is a Trading Company set up by the Megalodon-hunter Merrick, who sends Crews on the hunt of Animals, powerful Beasts and Fish. Hunter's Call Representatives are found camped on Sea Posts, waiting for any Ships to bring them Fish and Meat, preferably cooked. The Hunter's Call offer 50 Reputation Ranks with various Promotions and Commendations. The only Cosmetics offered by The Hunter's Call are The Killer Whale Set Ship Cosmetics and animal themed Tattoos.
The Athena's Fortune is a Legendary Trading Company set up by the equally legendary Pirate Lord. In order to join the Athena's Fortune, players will have to achieve Rank 50 with three out of the 6 other Trading Companies, after which they are granted the title of Pirate Legend by the Mysterious Stranger in Taverns. Pirate Legends can buy Athena's Fortune Voyages that send Crews on longer, mixed Quests with the intent of finding high-value Athena's Fortune Treasure items. After completing Commendations or investigating the hidden Athena's Fortune Hideout, Pirate Legends can purchase various Legendary Cosmetics belonging to the Legendary and Ghost Set. Players can progress through 30 Reputation Ranks with Athena's Fortune by selling Athena's Treasure to the Mysterious Stranger or sailing as Athena's Fortune Emissaries. High Graded Emissaries gain access to the valuable Athena's Fortune Emissary Quest. Their Hideout can be accessed inside every Tavern if a Pirate knows the Legendary Shanty.
Less of a Trading Company and more of a faction of Adventurers, the Bilge Rats headed by Larinna ditch a Reputation system in favour of achievable Commendations that send Player Crews to the newest and most exciting Adventures of the Seas. The Bilge Rats offer various time-limited Mercenary Voyages that send Players in search of the latest changes to the Seas. Larinna has also set up a Black Market, where players can trade their hard earned Bilge Rat Doubloons for various Cosmetics, Gold or Reputation with other Trading Companies.
(Defunct as of 2.5.0)
The Sea Dogs valued a fair and glorious fight on the Seas. They separated themselves from the rest of the Trading Companies by building a massive Arena in the center Peak of the Sea of Thieves. Traders were based in The Glorious Sea Dog Tavern on top of it. In the Arena, players could form teams against each other that would compete for Sea Dog Chests in 15 minute organised matches. By playing in the competitions and earning Commendations, players could work through 50 Reputation Ranks and Promotions, earning Glorious and Triumphant Sea Dog Set Cosmetics.
- 2.6.2 (September 29, 2022)
- Notifications received when earning Trading Company Reputation will now display the correct text.
- 2.0.14 (April 22, 2020)
- Introduced Reaper's Bones.
- Increased the levels for Athena's Fortune, Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls, and Merchant Alliance.
- 2.0.4 (June 19, 2019)
- Introduced Letters of Recommendations for The Hunter's Call and Sea Dogs.
- 2.0 (April 30, 2019)
- Introduced The Hunter's Call and Sea Dogs.
- 1.4.4 (March 6, 2019)
- Company Rank within the Company Shop UI is now correctly scaled on wide screens.
- 1.4.3 (February 6, 2019)
- Company Reputation - Entering each of the company commendation screen now plays a sound effect that's relevant to the company.
- 1.4.0 (November 28, 2018)
- In Trading Company shops in non-English languages, Company items will now have the required rank translated.
- 1.3.0 (September 27, 2018)
- Players' levels of reputation with each Trading Company are now correctly displayed on the reputation screen.
- 1.2.4 (August 30, 2018)
- Commendation Changes - Some Commendation requirements have been rebalanced. This change was made due to community feedback. Players who have met the new conditions will need to complete the requirement one more time to trigger the Commendation.
- 1.1.4 (June 28, 2018)
- Introduced Letters of Recommendations for Gold hoarder, Order of Souls, and Merchant Alliance.
- 1.1.0 (May 29, 2018)
- Introduced Bilge Rats.
- 1.0.7 (May 15, 2018)
- Strike Gold - As Pirates rank up with all the trading companies, the chances of finding more valuable rewards has been increased. Say good-bye to those Castaway Chests at higher ranks!
- 1.0.6 (May 1, 2018)
- Incorrect company icons will no longer be displayed for a split second if trying to get reputation from two different Trading Companies.
- 1.0.5 (April 24, 2018)
- Wrong company icon is no longer incorrectly displayed for a split second if user is trying to get XP from 2 different companies.
- 1.0.4 (April 18, 2018)
- Trading companies now inform you when you have reached the voyage purchase limit for the day.
- First Release (March 20, 2018)
- When cashing in rewards at the Trading Companies, the reputation notification no longer appears twice.