Season Five enters its final few weeks as we bring you February’s update, setting the scene for the Adventures unveiled in our recent 2022 Preview Event while making more improvements to the game experience and bringing fresh fire and lightning to the Pirate Emporium. If you missed out on Season Five's initial feature set, just watch this to get up to speed...
Set forth on the first of Sea of Thieves' new time-limited Adventures on February 17th! Meet the enigmatic Belle and help her investigate the sinister fog engulfing Golden Sands Outpost as the next chapter in the Sea of Thieves story starts to unfold.
‘Shrouded Islands’ (February 17th – March 3rd)
- Larinna awaits pirates at the Outpost, urging crews to head to Golden Sands to see what’s happened and meet a new face on the Sea of Thieves. Speak to Larinna to begin this new Adventure!
- Anyone brave enough to face down the ethereal threats posed within this Adventure will be rewarded with a time-limited exclusive Title and cosmetic. Players can wield the eerie Shrouded Compass as a memento of their adventures on these shrouded islands.
Adventure Quick Menu
- The Quick Menu now contains an Adventure tab, giving players easy access to information on previous, active and upcoming Adventures. When an Adventure becomes active, players can follow along with the story and track any Deeds and rewards available for progressing through the Adventure.
- Keen-eyed pirates may find a tease for the next Adventure in the Coming Soon section...
With the next era of storytelling within Sea of Thieves commencing this month, big changes are already afoot both at sea and on land. Find out more about what’s shifted within the world already and how this could affect your adventures!
A Sinister Fog...
- As spectral activity increases across the Sea of Thieves, an eerie fog has rolled in, leaving islands enshrouded in its wake. One island touched by this fog is Golden Sands Outpost, which now lies in ruin with its inhabitants nowhere to be found.
- Golden Sands Outpost is no longer a starting point for new crews entering the world, and crews will no longer be given Voyages to deliver to this afflicted Outpost.
- As the fog takes hold, Captain Flameheart has mysteriously retreated from the skies over the Sea of Thieves and taken his Ghost Fleet with him.
- With this World Event no longer in rotation, crews taking on the highest-ranking Order of Souls Ghost Fleet Voyages may now encounter the Burning Blade during the final wave.
Last chance to pick up this Plunder Pass before Season Five ends! Also available now are the Ashen Curse Alsatian, more Thunderous Fury and Cutthroat items, new emote bundles and popular previous Plunder Pass rewards including Season Four’s Jack O' Looter range.
Season Five Plunder Pass - Last Chance!
- Anyone wishing to take full advantage of Season Five rewards can still buy the Plunder Pass. Any rewards unlocked will become available upon purchase, so players who have raised their Renown throughout Season Five can instantly see their hard work rewarded before the Season ends.
- This Season’s Plunder Pass offers early access to an especially generous 14 items of upcoming Emporium stock, and can be purchased at any time through the Pirate Log, Pirate Emporium, Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store.
- With Season Four now a distant memory, the Jack O' Looter ship set, weapons and costume from the previous Plunder Pass are now available for individual purchase from the Pirate Emporium.
- You can also attempt to get a grip on your nervous nature with the Vulnerable Weapon Pose emotes!
- Following its first appearance in Season Four’s Plunder Pass, this collection can now be completed with all ship items available for purchase.
- For players only awaiting the cannons and capstan to complete their set, a Jack O' Looter Cannons and Capstan Bundle is available containing both items plus the Cannon Flare.
- A Jack O' Looter Essential Ship Bundle is also on offer, including just the core ship cosmetics at a discount.
Thunderous Fury Collector’s Ship Items
- After thundering into Season Three’s Plunder Pass, this ship set now has an electrifying new Collector’s Figurehead and Collector’s Sails up for purchase.
- Hone your killer instinct with this set of four vicious-looking weapons.
- The Ashen Curse pet family gets a scorching new addition! Hopefully not too hot for you to handle...
- A Cannon Flare is now available for a fan-favourite Pirate Emporium ship set – check out the noxious green smoke emanating from the new Soulflame Cannon Flare!
- Players who already own all items in the Soulflame Ship Bundle will find the Cannon Flare added to their inventory as a little gift from the Emporium owners.
- Become a master of disguise with this prop-centric emote collection.
- Spread the enigmatic teachings of three sagely simians with this set of expressive emotes.
Freebie Throw a Strop Emote
- When life just isn’t fair, feel free to throw a strop at your clueless captain.
Time-Limited Reaper's Heart Pet Bundle
- Only made available at this romantic time of year: a brooding menagerie of pets brought to life by darkly passionate magic.
Cutthroats and Canines Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores, this bundle contains the Cutthroat Weapon Bundle, Ashen Curse Alsatian, 1000 Ancient Coins and a free 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
- Continue to unlock even more cosmetics throughout Season Five with Twitch Drops! Stay tuned to Sea of Thieves social channels to find out when Twitch Drops will be active for Partnered streamers, allowing players to earn more items from the Twilight Hunter set. Find out how to link your accounts and more on our dedicated Twitch Drops page.
Improved Shanty Selection
- When equipping an instrument, holding the secondary interact button will now open the Shanty Radial directly, allowing players to easily switch between shanties.
- New filters are now provided when browsing shop stock, allowing players to cycle through all items, owned items and unowned items for easier access.
- When sailing the open sea in a storm, the strong current requires players to fight the wheel to maintain a course. However, when approaching an island or shipwreck, crews will now find that the current is less forceful and no longer causes the wheel to spin erratically.
Emote Radial Improvements
- Within a Vanity Chest, players now have access to 10 pages where emotes can be equipped.
- Bringing up the Emote Radial and cycling through the pages will also now only display pages which have emotes equipped.
Sunken Kingdom Treasury Balancing
- When raiding the vault of a Siren Treasury, crews will now find two gold piles with consistent gold rewards.
- The Outpost clothing shops now stock the Stygian Admiral clothing set, available to purchase for gold.
Ship’s Wheel Audio Support
- Players can now access additional audio support when using the ship’s wheel. Within the Game Audio Settings, use ‘Enable Additional Wheel Turning Sounds’ to play a distinctive sound every quarter-turn of the wheel. The volume of this effect can be tweaked by using the accompanying volume slider.
- While aiming down sights with a ranged weapon, being hit with a sword attack from another player or lightning attack from an Eel-ectric should no longer cancel the player’s aim.
- Resetting the input settings to default will now also reset the input for Swim Up.
- The Full Billow achievement can now be unlocked when completing the required criteria.
- Defeating skeletons or Phantoms while under the effects of a Cursed Cannonball will now progress the Master of Cursed Iron Commendation.
- Skeleton Ships and skeletons using island cannons should now fire at targets more consistently without long pauses between shots.
- When sitting in a Rowboat, interaction prompts for nearby seats and objects are no longer shown as they cannot be interacted with until the player stands.
- Mouse users on PC can now enable the ‘Recentre Mouse in Menus’ setting to ensure the mouse cursor returns to the centre of the screen when opening full-screen menus.
- Performing the Stargazing Emote while wearing the Lodestar Costume now ensures the emote camera zooms into the correct location on the pirate.
- Players should no longer find areas within the Pirate Legend Hideout where they can trigger a safe teleport.
Visual and Audio
- An audible wood splintering sound can once again be heard when ships take damage from a range of external sources.
- Players should no longer encounter a multicoloured chequerboard effect on ship materials when loading into a session.
- Shooting while moving forwards, then sprinting and abruptly stopping, should no longer cause the weapon reload animation to be cut short.
- The Dark Adventurers Beard no longer clips into the player’s mouth when using a range of emotes.
- During an Ashen Lord encounter, when an Ashen Lord lunges at a player, they will now animate correctly during the leap.
- During an Ashen Lord encounter, the geysers resulting from a World’s End attack will now fade back into the sand.
- The visual effects when firing cannons are now triggered immediately, removing a perceived delay in launching cannonballs.
- Loading screens on PC will now display correctly sized images when using a 4K screen resolution.
- Capuchin and Barbary monkeys wearing the Cronch Outfits now fit correctly into cannon barrels when loaded.
- Players standing on the Sloop bed will no longer generate muffled sounds for others in proximity.
- Standing behind the Ferryman on the Ferry of the Damned should no longer cause their head to snap to the player.
- When wearing the Bell Brigade Gloves, the player’s hands should no longer clip into held items.
- ‘Dark Brethren’ – The water effects in the flume section now flow smoothly through the tunnel.
- When playing in windowed mode and resizing the screen during gameplay, using an Eye of Reach or spyglass zoom will no longer cause the screen to be off-centre.
Text and Localisation
- Steam players using Turkish language settings within Steam game properties will now find Sea of Thieves launches in Turkish.
- The Night-Time Spectacular achievement now correctly states the unlocking requirement of a display of five or more fireworks at night.
- When ‘Let Games Read to Me’ is enabled, the narration now clearly informs players when the game is loading.
- Enabling ‘Circular Navigation’ now allows players to equip emotes from Vanity Chests when using a controller.
Performance and Stability
- Enhanced reporting has been added, helping identify scenarios where server performance can result in a reduction in hit detection accuracy.
- After being disconnected during a failed server migration, players should now be able to rejoin their session when prompted and return to their ship.
- Players on PC are now able to set the resolution scaling below 75% and have that setting persist across sessions.
- Server migration success rate has been improved, reducing the frequency of experiencing Hazelnutbeard while migrating between servers.
- Server stability has been improved, reducing scenarios where crews are removed from a game session.
Incorrectly Positioned Levers, Pulleys and Traps
- When progressing through Tall Tales or Siren Shrines, players approaching mechanisms previously used by other players may initially perceive them in the incorrect location or position until they are used. For example, a moveable walkway controlled by a lever may be shown in an upright position despite actually being lowered, causing players to fall through unexpectedly.
Ranged and Melee Weapon Hit Detection
- In areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While small improvements continue to be delivered during our regular updates, we are continuing to investigate and identify further improvements to the player combat experience.
To learn more about known issues in Sea of Thieves currently being tracked and their status, head over to our Known Issues support site article.
Download and Installation
- Xbox Series X: 9.2 GB
- Xbox Series S: 6.36 GB
- Xbox One X: 9.2 GB
- Xbox One: 6.36 GB
- Windows 10: 8.95 GB
- Steam: 8.22 GB