This article may not be updated for Season 11. It may contain inaccuracies and requires updating.
The Ashen Chest is a type of a Container Chest and treasure in Sea of Thieves. They are normally found locked, requiring an Ashen Key to gain access to the three treasures inside. Every chest contains a guaranteed Ashen Tome. The chests can be sold locked or unlocked for 5 Doubloons to the Bilge Rats or Sovereigns for 5 , or to the Reaper's Bones for Reputation and Doubloons.
An opened Ashen Chest acts identically to other Container Chests, allowing the player to transport three small treasures inside.
A locked Ashen Chest can be unlocked using an Ashen Key which can be found from the following sources:
- Rewarded for solving an Ashen Key Master's Notes Quest that is dropped by Ashen Key Masters that appear during Skeleton Fort World Events or on Islands as Emergent Skeleton Captain spawns.
- Low chance to be caught with a Fishing Rod when not using any Bait.
Where to find
Ashen Chests can be found from the following sources:
- 1 Guaranteed as a reward for solving an Ashen Guardian's Notes Quest, dropped by Ashen Guardians that appear during Skeleton Fort World Events or on Islands as Emergent Skeleton Captain spawn
- 1 Guaranteed inside a completed Skeleton Fort Vault
- 2 Guaranteed after defeating the Captain's Ship of a Skeleton Fleet
- Chance to find on Skeleton Ships
- Possible reward for defeating a Kraken tentacle
- Possible reward for defeating a Megalodon
- Guaranteed reward for an Ashen Chest Stash Voyage, bought from the Black Market for 50 or 65,000
- Possible reward for defeating an Ashen Lord (Unlocked!)
Every Ashen Chest opened with an Ashen Key will reveal three small treasures:
- 1 guaranteed random Ashen Tome
- 2 additional Items that can be the following:
Ashen Chests received as rewards for an Ashen Lord encounter will already be unlocked and are more similar to Collector's Chests in that they have a small amount of gold and 0-3 treasure items inside. The treasure itself can be anything from the regular Ashen Treasure pool.
Selling Ashen Chests
Ashen Chests can be sold locked and unlocked to:
- Larinna stationed outside every Outpost Tavern for Doubloons
- The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper's Hideout for Doubloons and Reaper's Bones Reputation and Emissary Value (if sailing as a Reaper's Bones Emissary)
- Sovereigns for Doubloons.
The following is the reward chart for sold Ashen Chests (only applicable when selling to the Reaper's Bones):
- It is recommended to sell these chests to the Reaper's Bones as they will offer increased Doubloon, Reputation and Emissary Value multipliers for selling these as Graded Reaper's Bones Emissaries. This bonus also applies to everything inside the chest.
- All Commendations related to Ashen Chests can also be earned by selling them to the Reaper's Bones.
- Picking up and placing an Ashen Chest on a ship for the first time gives Emissary Grade Reputation to Trading Company Emissaries representing the Reaper's Bones.
- Just as with other Container Chests, the following applies to Ashen Chests:
- An empty Ashen Chest can store up to three small treasures, such as Artefacts, Bounty Skulls, Mermaid Gems, Keys, Treacherous Plunder, small Bilge Rats Treasure or Quest Items.
- An Ashen Chest hides the glow and quells the sounds of the treasure inside, however, the chest itself can be seen from far away by a white glint typical to Treasure Chests.
- Container Chests are usually used to transport three small treasure items at once to save time.
- Container Chests can be caught with a Harpoon.
- The Skeleton Runes on the chest translate as follows: Flame and Resurrection
|Sell 600 of any Trading Company items while flying the Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
High Seas only
|Unlocks Dawn Hunter Set items for purchase.
|Sell 320 of any Trading Company items while flying a Grade 5 Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
High Seas only
|Sell an Ashen Chest.
|Open 5 Ashen Chests.
|Open 10 Ashen Chests.
|Open 30 Ashen Chests.
|Open a stolen Ashen Chest.
High Seas only
Pirate Chat Wheel
Here is the Pirate Chat Wheel for the Ashen Chest:
- 2.6.1 (September 1, 2022)
- Players will no longer be able to delete items that are placed inside Ashen Chests while holding another Captain’s Logbook.
- 2.4.1 (January 20, 2022)
- Taking items from an Ashen Chest while holding a Map Bundle should no longer cause the items to disappear.